Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

like me

Some words I read this morning slapped me across the face: “But aren't you also guilty of sins against the Lord your God?” 2 Chronicles 28:10

The prophet Oded said that to Pekah king of Israel, who had been sent by God to punish King Ahaz and the nation of Judah for idolatry. Pekah killed 120,000 soldiers and took 200,000 women and children as slaves, an excessive, bloodthirsty interpretation of God’s command. Oded interfered and the captives were returned to Judah.

But those words. Within the last few days I’ve criticized our church leaders for their apathetic attitudes. I’ve railed against the politicians and their self-serving ways. I’ve grumbled about the stupid ways people parent their children, and the laziness of people I know who collect welfare.

I’m really good at seeing what others do wrong. This morning the prophet said to me, “But aren’t you also guilty of sins against the Lord your God?’

Yes! I’m apathetic, about church and many other things. I’m self-serving, I’m lazy, I did a lot of bad things when I was raising my kids. And I’m judgmental and can be very negative. 

Pekah thought his assignment from God made him special, and gave him license. I often think I’m better than others I observe, or at least that I see the truth more clearly. But the fact is that God looks at me and sees the apathetic, self-serving, lazy, negative, critical jerk that I really am, and that other people probably see me as too. And you know what? His response is to love me and forgive me.

And then he makes me better. He turns my attention back to him, he softens my heart, he firms up my purpose, and somehow I’m not any of those things anymore. Somehow I can look at those people and see that they’re just struggling to get by, like me. They sometimes buy Satan’s lies, like me. They need a Savior, like me.

In Christ, I’m a good person. But I’m no better, no more worthy or valuable, than anyone else. And without Christ, I’m among the worst. No room for pride, all the room in the world for gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment