Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

mysteries

A few days ago I found myself in one of those discussions Christians have sometimes. We can talk at length, and sometimes argue with certainty, about things like creation or the end times or heaven, things that aren’t fully revealed to us. 

Maybe we’re that way because we live in a time where certainty and proof are highly valued. We want to know for sure. Our belief in science makes us think we can know for sure. Police procedurals on TV make us think there will always be DNA or fingerprints or some solid evidence that settles the case one way or the other.

Zophar the Naamathite, for all his other bad advice, reminded Job of something I need to hear. In Job 11:7-9 he says, "Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty? They are higher than the heavens above—what can you do? They are deeper than the depths below —what can you know? Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea.”

God is beyond my ability to understand. I need the mysteries to remind me that, like a child does with an earthly father, sometimes I just need to follow because I won’t understand the explanations anyway.

And I need to be reminded that faith isn’t faith if I demand proof. When I say, “Prove it,” I’m really saying, “I won’t believe you until you prove it.” That’s the opposite of faith. It’s fine, and probably good and necessary, for me to say that to other people when we’re debating what Scripture says. I should never say that to God. 

God has chosen to leave me in the dark on exactly how to reconcile the geological record with Genesis. He hasn’t revealed precisely what will happen when the world ends. He hasn’t explained the trinity or election well enough for me to completely understand them. And that’s OK. If I ever feel like I understand God, I’ll lose my awe of him.

I like having to live with the mysteries. Sure, sometimes I’d like to just know for sure, but someday I will. Until then, there’s one thing I am certain of: I’m secure with this mysterious God. He won’t hurt me; in fact, he’ll always help me. That’s enough, for now.

1 comment:

  1. Faith is a mystery in itself! And God needs and wants us to be comfortable with that. Is wanting proof the same as wanting an explanation? I'm wondering about our desire to understand why we have to deal with our physical limitations. You take good care of yourself; why do you now have to deal with the limitations that keep you from doing so? We don't get an explanation. Here, too, God calls us to have faith and trust that God will see us through.

    ReplyDelete