Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, May 20, 2016

limits

I have a friend who has focused his life on living to age 120. He says that’s a natural lifetime as described in Genesis, and he wants all of it. He believes that anyone who doesn’t live that long has shortchanged himself through bad life choices.

He and I have disagreed on this for almost three decades now, but I’ve never been able to say exactly why I think his goal is wrong. But this morning I read Job 14:5, which says, “A person's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed.”

Now, maybe my friend is right, and the limit on age was set at 120. Or maybe I’m right and God has a specific lifetime planned for each of us. Even though that’s what we argue about, I don’t think that’s the point.

I think the point is that God limits us based on what he wants us to do. He gives us whatever amount of time we have not to focus on ourselves, not to live for the enjoyment of this world, but to serve his people. And after that, to go live with God in glory.

So first of all, I want to say to my friend that all the hours he commits each day to being as healthy as he can be, and all the social opportunities he passes up because the food won’t meet his standards, are hours and opportunities that could and should be used to serve other people. Even if he gets his 120 years, he’s wasting most of it.

Second, though, is the big question: why fight so hard for more days on earth when our destination is heaven? I get it that we all fear death. I don’t get people who love this world so much that they don’t want heaven.

It makes me wonder if there are ways I cling to much to my temporary life here. How do I invest myself in this world at the expense of preparing for eternity? I’m sure there are ways, but as always it’s a lot easier to point out my friend’s error than see my own.

Another thing to pray about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment