Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, May 16, 2016

keeping the faith

God let Satan take everything Job owned. Job lost his flocks and herds, his money, his home, his family. All he had left was his wife and his health. He went in days from being one of the most blessed men ever to having nothing.

But he didn’t lose his faith in God. This is what the Bible tells us happened when he got all the bad news (Job 1:20-21) “At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: ’Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.’"

I don’t think I’d say that. I like my life just so. I like my property neat and well-kept, I like day to be orderly, I like decent food and drink and nice clothes to wear. I feel like I spent decades building this life, and I don’t always react well when things don’t go my way.

But that’s the point. I didn’t build this life - God blessed me in ways he chose not to bless others just as worthy. He protected my health when many of my classmates have struggled with things like diabetes and cancer. He protected my marriage even as I’ve watched many others fall apart. He gave me stability in my job, so that my income has grown steadily over time. Some of my friends have been pushed from job to job by layoffs and business closures.

Job saw a truth that I miss: everything I have came from God, and if it serves His purposes he’ll take it away again. If my comfortable life in some way compromises my relationship with God, maybe by making me think I did it myself, it can go in a heartbeat. 

No matter what happened, Job kept his faith in God. In fact, he praised God for his omnipotence even when God’s providence seemed to be withheld.

The Lord gives and takes away based on what’s best for my soul. I need to practice saying, “May the Lord be praised,” no matter what he allows in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment