Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

proof of innocence

I experience a lot of reactions when I read the book of Job. I feel bad for Job, I get frustrated at his friends, I wonder about God. Today, I feel overwhelming gratitude.

I read Job 9, where Job talks about his frustration at his situation. He says, in part, “ But how can mere mortals prove their innocence before God? Though they wished to dispute with him, they could not answer him one time out of a thousand. . . . He is not a mere mortal like me that I might answer him, that we might confront each other in court. If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God's rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more.” Job 9:2-3, 32-34

We have what Job longed for. I have that “if only” someone that Job recognized was necessary to intercede for him with God. Jesus is the one to mediate between us, to bring us together, to remove God’s rod from me. I’m a less worthy person than Job, yet God has granted me what he lacked, at least at that time: a savior.

Hallelujah! The disasters I bring on myself, the ashes I choose to sit in, the dubious friends I invite into my life - these things don’t define my future. Jesus does, Jesus the God-man who knows me and loves me anyway, who died for me and rose and ascended for me. Jesus, my Lord who sits at God’s right hand and, every time someone brings an accusation against me, leans over and says, “He’s one of mine, the ones I redeemed.” And God forgives.

For Job, such an advocate would have been a huge comfort. For me, it’s something I too often take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment