Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, May 9, 2016

leading in unfaithfulness

Cult leaders seem especially contemptible to me. They use their charismatic personalities to prey on the fears of believers, all to give themselves power to indulge their own pleasure.

I don’t remember who said, “Power corrupts,” but it’s true often enough to make me fear it. Church leaders aren’t exempt. In Ezra 9:1-2 I read of Ezra’s challenges with his church leaders. 

“After these things had been done, the leaders came to me and said, ‘The people of Israel, including the priests and the Levites, have not kept themselves separate from the neighboring peoples with their detestable practices, like those of the Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Jebusites, Ammonites, Moabites, Egyptians and Amorites. They have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, and have mingled the holy race with the peoples around them. And the leaders and officials have led the way in this unfaithfulness.’"

Have I done that? I’ve been an elder in our church. I preach, and I write. I’ve stated my opinion publicly enough that I’m sure a few people watch what I do. Have I ever led anyone into unfaithfulness?

I sure hope not. I don’t want to. But I suspect most of those leaders who took pagan wives had good arguments for it. I suspect, like me, they were experts at justifying what they want using the words of faith. As I think about it, it seems more and more likely that I misused power at some point, and likely led others astray when I did it.

Leaders are God’s gift to his church. I think it’s by his grace that they lead us well. I think it’s by his grace that, as a group, they compensate for all the flaws they have individually. Almost always, our trust in them is validate by time. 

Still, it’s a sobering reminder that when I’m in a position to lead, even just as a thought leader, there’s a lot at stake. God, please give me wisdom in those times.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, how do we handle this responsibility? When are we too concerned about this? Can one be too concerned about this? We teach this to our future teachers and often discuss James 3:1 about being judged more harshly/strictly as people who work closely with children. But I think the same is true for church leaders.

    ReplyDelete