Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, April 2, 2018

and so

God spoke, and the world was. That’s always been one of the amazing things of the creation story to me. I wish I could do it - have the thoughts of my mind come into being through my mouth instead of these clumsy hands.

God did that a lot. Look at this, the very first part of the gospel of Mark, from Mark 1:1-4: 
“The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, as it is written in Isaiah the prophet:
‘I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way’ —
‘a voice of one calling in the wilderness,
“Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.”’
And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.”

God told Isaiah what he would do, and the prophet told the people. And so, it happened. It happened because God said so. Not because he decided at the time of Mary’s immaculate pregnancy. He decided and told his people centuries before - that’s why John the Baptist was born. Those two words, “and so,” communicate cause and effect in a certain, infallible way.

There’s a lot of comfort here when I see all the things God has said will be that aren’t yet. “I have plans for you, plans to prosper you and give you a future,” God says. “Behold, in heaven I have a mansion of many rooms, and one of them is for you,” he tells me. “One day, you will see me as I actually am. In a place where darkness is gone, along with all pain and sorrow.”

And so . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment