Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, April 23, 2018

the way to God

Scripture never fails to speak.

This morning I read a passage I’ve known since childhood, and have been reading for nearly five decades. I know it well, yet this morning it had a new message of encouragement for me.

Here it is, from  Mark 16:1-5: “When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb and they asked each other, ‘Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?’
“But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.”

I noticed that as Mary, Mary and Salome walked to Jesus tomb for their depressing chore, they had a problem. Honestly, I noticed because of unworthy thoughts I had about how women fret. Their concern was valid, and there wasn’t an obvious answer. Who would roll the stone away?

Here’s the thing, though: God knew it was important, so he took care of it. And I realized that there’s a worry we need never have. We don’t ever have to wonder how we’ll get to God.

Of course, Jesus was no longer in the tomb, but that fact was critical to millions of future Christians. In order for these women and us to come to a saving faith in Jesus, we had to know that the tomb was empty. So God made sure the way was open, so that we could move forward on our faith journey.

Of all the things we might wonder, we should never wonder how to get to God. Seeking hearts will always find him.

No comments:

Post a Comment