Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

signs

I’ve said it, and I’ll bet you have too: “Why doesn’t God just do something to prove he exists?” Sometimes it seems like we could avoid a lot of trouble in this world if our omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would just respond unequivocally to all the doubters and naysayers.

Today, I’m not so sure that’s a good wish. Look at this from Mark 8:11-12: “The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. To test him, they asked him for a sign from heaven. He sighed deeply and said, ‘Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it.’”

Here’s the really interesting thing: this request from the Pharisees came immediately after one of his miracles, the feeding of thousands with just a few loaves. It’s like they’re saying, “Yeah, yeah, but I want my own sign. Something I see myself, that addresses my personal questions.”

A couple of thoughts: first, God isn’t in the business of overtly removing our doubts. That’s not what faith is about. God reveals himself to us and calls us to build a relationship of trust with him. He calls us to believe in him, not demand proof.

Second, God has already given the world plenty of signs. He has worked miracles that we know from trusted eye-witness accounts. He has change us from bitter, guilty, self-centered people into loving servants. He has delivered joy to us beyond all reason. If we don’t believe yet, it’s because we don’t want to.

Faith isn’t faith if it rests entirely on facts. Faith is believing when we don’t understanding, and hoping in what we do not yet see. In the end, it’s the mark of a true believer not to need more signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment