Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

wealth and faith

I’ve noticed that greed can be compounding: the more you have, the more you want. The people with the most money seem often to be the people who think the most about money. In fact, one of the Rockefellers, at the time reputed to be the richest man in America, had this answer when asked how much money is enough: just a little bit more.

This morning, I was convicted by these thoughts as I read from Mark 12, especially the story at the end that is summed up in verse 43: “Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, ‘Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.’”

Another very familiar story, but right now, in the context of a major fund-raising campaign at church, it was uncomfortable. We’ve given a lot already, but there’s no doubt we could give more if we chose.

Early in our marriage, when we were truly poor, there were times when Dawn and I gave money on Sunday that we didn’t even have yet. I remember one time writing the church checks completely on faith, and the receiving that amount from a surprise source in the mail on Monday. When I had very little, I had more faith.

Now, I make at least ten times what I did then. But now, I have financial plans. I’m saving for retirement, I have a mortgage, there are things we want to do with our family. Now, with a comfortable bank account, I calculate very carefully what I can afford to give.

As a result, dollar amounts notwithstanding, I give less than ever. At least, by Jesus’ standard I do. I’m keeping a lot of it - we call that saving - for retirement, for a time of leisure for myself. And I’m keeping some just in case. It’s hard to call that faith.

Faith would probably invest a little more in God’s kingdom and a little less in my own future. It’s a balance I need to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment