Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, April 13, 2018

like little children

Sometimes, it seems the longer I’m a Christian, the harder it gets to be one. 

Take, for example, the simple matter of child-like faith. Here’s how Jesus explained it, in Mark 10: 13-16: “People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.’ And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.”

Child-like faith seemed easier when I knew less, and had done less. Earlier in my life, when I was just trying to get through school, to find and keep a good job, to make ends meet, to raise my kids, I was very content to let Jesus lead me.

Now, I’ve experienced leadership myself. I have accomplishments, and other people often look to me for answers. I’m involved in ministry, and have a small one of my own.

As a result, I’m less likely to receive the kingdom as a child, and more likely to try to take it. I’m more likely to think by my own actions I can make it what I want it to be. I often rely on myself and my own good judgment in working out my sanctification.

These days, as a mature man, it’s really hard to have the trust and dependence of a child. This is one of the oldest lessons, a simple story we learn in Sunday School. And yet, after half a century of hearing and understanding it, I struggle to do it.

Maybe that’s the point. Maybe I have to stop trying so hard. Maybe I should just go sit at the feet of Jesus and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment