Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

worthy through suffering

A friend often says, “Be careful what you wish for.” Sometimes changes bring struggles, and sometimes more struggle than benefit.

Today, I had an interesting juxtaposition of ideologies. On the one hand, I heard from a follower of prosperity theology - he became a Christian as a means to health and wealth. 

And then I read from Paul’s letter to the Philippians, specifically this excerpt from chapter 1:27-30: “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. . . . For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.”

The thing that has been granted to Christians, according to Paul, is that we will suffer for him. We will be challenged and debated, we’ll be abused and cast out. Some will be imprisoned, some will lose jobs, some will be thrown out of their families. This world is oriented away from Christ, so Christ-followers aren’t welcome most places.

That’s not what we expect. We think we’ll be showered with blessings. We think the Great Healer will always heal. We believe things like “name it and claim it.”

Of course there are great blessings from following Jesus. The fellowship is wonderful, the ability to appreciate beauty is reawakened, and there’s joy in the smallest act of service. But you see, these blessings are different from the ones we seek, the blessings of prosperity.

I have to be careful what I expect of Jesus. He wants to grow me as a disciple, so he’ll put me through things that develop my patience, kindness, and self-control. And he wants me to work alongside him, so I should anticipate the same Satanic pushback that he gets. 

But that’s how I become as he is, which would be the greatest blessing of all. Why worry about things I’ll have for a few short decades, when there’s all of eternity to think about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment