Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, April 30, 2018

comfort

A good friend of mine lost his wife this weekend, and I prayed several times for God to comfort him. Then, this morning, I read how that happens. Here it is, from 2 Corinthians 1:3-7: 

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.”

It’s a pretty clear sequence, isn’t it? Our compassionate God comforts us, and then we comfort  other people. In fact, we just pass on the comfort we’ve already received. Since God is the source, there is to limit or end to the comfort available.

We are definitely God’s hands, feet and heart in this. If I want my friend to have comfort, I need to go comfort him. That’s the way it works; that’s God’s kingdom in action.

I’m not a natural at the hard emotions, but I do want what I prayed for. So I guess this week I get to be my own answer to prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment